If you fancy something a little different to a mince pie but still want a little Christmassy treat, then these are perfect. I adapted the recipe from my raspberry crumble square recipe. This is such a super simple treat to make all the taste of a mince pie with no pastry making in sight!
You will need:
1 cup of plain flour
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup of oats
1/2 cup of light brown soft sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped hazlenuts
1 jar of good quality mincemeat
1 8 inch square baking tin
* Preheat oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas 4, grease and line your tin.
* Place the flour, bicarb and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the sugar, hazelnuts and oats, mix together with your fingers to break up an lumps of sugar.
* Add the butter and rub together until evenly combined.
* Place 2 cups of the oaty mix into the tin and press down firmly until it’s packed in and even.
* Spread a generous layer of mincemeat, you may find the mincemeat won’t spread so just dollop little spoonfuls until the base is covered.
* Press the remaining oats over the top
* Bake for 40- 45 minutes until golden brown
* Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.